Jen Payne finds her creative spark kindled by those life moments that move us most — love and loss, joy and disappointment, milestones and turning points. Her writing serves as witness to these in the form of poetry, creative non-fiction, flash fiction and essay. When she is not exploring our connections with one another, she enjoys writing about our relationships with nature, creativity, and mindfulness, and how these offer the clearest path to finding balance in our frenetic, spinning world.
Very often, her writing is accompanied by her own photography and artwork. As both a graphic designer and writer, Jen believes that partnering visuals and words layers the intentions of her work, and makes the communication more palpable.
In 2014, she published her first book, LOOK UP! Musings on the Nature of Mindfulness, a collection of essays, poems and original photography. She is currently working on a collection of poetry entitled Evidence of Flossing and Mechanisms of Man, to be published in 2017.
Jen is the owner is Words by Jen, a graphic design and creative services company founded in 1993, based in Branford, Connecticut. She is a member of the Arts Council of Greater New Haven, the Branford Arts and Cultural Alliance, the Connecticut Poetry Society, Guilford Arts Center, and the Guilford Poets Guild.
Installations of her poetry were featured in Shuffle & Shake, an exhibition at the Arts Council of Greater New Haven (2016), and Inauguration Nation at Kehler Liddel Gallery in New Haven (2017). Her writing has been published by The Aurorean, Six Sentences, the Story Circle Network, WOW! Women on Writing, and The Perch, a publication by the Yale Program for Recovery & Community Health.
- A Way with Words…, Pam Johnson, Senior Staff Writer, Shore Publishing
- Art council’s ‘Universe’ exhibit opening in Gallery at Whitney Center, Joe Amarante, New Haven Register, May 2017
- New Haven artists, shaken and stirred, react to Trump inauguration, Joe Amarante, New Haven Register, January 2017
- “Shuffle & Shake” Dances with Time, Allan Appel, New Haven Independent, July 2016
- The Perch, Spring 2016
- Branford author Jen Payne invites us to Look Up!, Donna Doherty, New Haven Register, October 2014
Profile photo by Branford artist Christine Chiocchio, www.christinechiocchio.com.
• • •
The Early Years